Replace versus Reface
BY DECK EXPERT, JAMES SWANSON
When imagining your deck makeover, a common question you may wonder is, “Can I just replace the deck boards and guard rail on my current deck frame and foundation?” Would it be best to replace my entire deck? These are very common questions that the Solution Specialists at Outback Deck are asked. Let’s look at each of these common instances and see which might be the best option for you. First, let’s explain what a reface is. A reface is where you only replace deck boards on an existing deck frame. It really depends on the age and condition of your deck if this is an option.
A reface of your existing deck is typically done because:
1. The deck isn’t that old but has not been well maintained so the surface boards are weather worn.
2. The railings or stairs are unsafe.
3. You simply do not like the materials used for your current deck. For example, you want to upgrade from pressure treated wood to composite/synthetic decking.
These are all valid reasons, but there are also some very important factors that could affect whether a reface is a good idea:
- The Age of the Deck. Composite & PVC decking comes with a 25-year to 50-year fade and stain warranty. If your deck is already 10 years old and isn’t built up to current code, the new composite deck boards and rail will long outlast your current structure.
- When you consider a reface, in the Middle of the Demo, after all the decking, railing, and stairs have been removed, you can see what you’re keeping: the frame and the footings. The frame of your deck is the least expensive part. Saving a structure that has too many nail holes will typically only save you 20-30% of the project cost if you were to build an entirely new deck.
Shown to the Right: Example Photo of a Stringer that needed to be replaced after boards were removed.
We meet with dozens of homeowners every week, and only about 10% of decks we encounter are in good enough condition to be considered for a reface. The other 90% of the time, due to deck age and condition of the deck, it is a better investment to replace the entire structure. Purchasing and installing brand new deck boards and railings only to attach them to a frame that won’t last another 5 years can be a costly mistake, and it’s always best to have a trained professional help guide you to what’s best for you and your families safety.
CONTACT OUTBACK DECK FOR A FREE CONSULTATION TODAY!
About Outback Deck, Inc.
Outback Deck, Inc. brings inspiration to outdoor living spaces. We believe if you have an outdoor space, you should WANT to spend time in it. Outback is committed to serving our customers in Cobb, Cherokee and the surrounding areas. Our commitment to providing the best customer experience and creating outstanding value in your new deck or porch is unmatched in the industry. For more information, please visit www.outbackdeck.net life happens out back